Pages

Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Splendor in solitude


It is September and the light is changing
I was able to spend most of my day on my own today. Building steps down the sea wall to the water this morning there was a grayness to the world. As I hammered the treads into the steps, Shrimp jumped and as I moved away from my project to get this or that from the barn, a Sea Gull would perch on the post for the stairs only to flutter away when I returned. This morning as I worked there was no one on the bay and there was no human sound except for me.

As I finished my work the sky cleared and the wind picked up, first from the west and then the north east. Once finished I sat on my steps listening to the bay lap against the bottom step and the sea wall. A pair of Osprey fished although I didn’t actually see them catch any fish, but their tell tale call alerted me to their presence. I must have sat on my steps for close to an hour studying the distant point in the bay, watching the birds and watching the fish and shrimp jump. It was only after this time that I realized that I wasn’t alone and that the world wasn’t quiet. There was a whole lot going on, it just so happened the activity wasn’t human.

After sitting in the sun for awhile I became hot and so I moved to the deck and sat covered by a pergola. The perspective sitting near the house, as opposed to directly on the bay was an interesting contrast and juxtaposition. The house in spite of no one being inside seemed to have a life and sounds of its own. The automatic systems kicking on and off much more abrupt than the wind or the sun moving from behind clouds. Nature is much more subtle. The pergola and mom’s flowers did give me pause to watch two yellow butterflies dance between potted flowers.

The morning was simple and quiet but truly filled with splendor. I’m glad that I sat and quietly listened to the bay, the birds and jumping fish. I’m glad that I felt the wind on my face. I’m happy that I retreated to the deck to really see the butterflies and I’m delighted that I let the lines of the distant point are now etched into my memory. Noticeably the light has changed, like summer fading, the sun’s rays today are on a less dramatic angle than a month ago. Summer is ebbing into fall and soon it will be too cool to sit on my steps at the water’s edge. The air and atmosphere seem to have an Orange glow to them. Sometimes I wish that I could have a million Carolina summers here on the coast. Saying this I realize on a very deep, primal level that a million summers here, nestled into a quiet corner of Carteret County wouldn’t nearly be enough time and no matter how much time I’d be given I truly believe that it would never be enough. I’ll close with this; I am grateful and thankful for the time that I’ve been blessed with. It is magn

No comments: