Pages

Thursday, September 3, 2009

Proverbs 17:22


Proverbs 17:22

A cheerful heart is good medicine, but a downcast spirit dries up the bones.

So I’ve been thinking about the phrase, “stabbed in the back.” It seems to me that stabbed in the back would apply to deliberately setting out to hurt, harm or malign someone in. It would seem to me that “stabbed in the back” would apply to acting without foreknowledge, being sneaky, being maniacal; being less than truthful with respect to intentions. “Stabbing in the back” is not, acting with permission or invitation; that is simply acting.

Extrapolating “stabbed in the back” more; it is not lending aid and comfort to a person in need, even if that person is perceived as being defiant or having strayed from the fold. Our higher calling is to love and care for those in need. To react in anger in this situation is similar to how a child would behave. I’m fighting with Sally, I don’t care for Sally right now and if you were my friend, you wouldn’t be friends with Sally either. Here the actions of the child fighting with Sally are controlling and manipulative, we will exclude Sally because I’m angry at Sally at the moment and I will control you too by insisting that you not be friends with Sally. Together we will draw a circle and draw Sally out. Here is an interesting sidelight to that behavior, take note, you could just as easily find yourself in Sally’s shoes and be outcast if you don’t do as I say or wish. It is unacceptable above all else for you to “stab me in the back.”

Stabbing in the back is also hanging someone out to dry. I’ll behave poorly, boorishly and spew awful things but when called into account for my words and actions; well I’ll have to lay those words, actions and behaviors at the feet of someone else. I won’t take responsibility for my actions or words. Stabbing in the back is also whipping a situation into frenzy with whispers, stories and colorful tales and then sitting back and delighting in the outcome as others slug it out and take on the role of the bad guy, heavy or disciplinarian.

“Stabbed in the back” is not, telling the truth and offering sound advice. “Stabbed in the back” is not, asking permission and then acting accordingly. Similarly “stabbed in the back” is not, offering a potential solution to a problem. “Stabbed in the back” is not, asking how are you; this done so with concern and care. “Stabbed in the back” is not; praying for those is crisis and turmoil; that is love, care and compassion. “Stabbed in the back” is not; letting a loved one scream and yet not reacting with equal accord. “Stabbed in the back” is not; being friends with those on a “blacklist.” Finally to stand silently and listen to verve is compassion, concern and love; is not “stabbed in the back.

No comments: