Pages

Thursday, February 11, 2010

Mean doesn't mean dishonest



On Tuesday a guest speaker came to our sales meeting. She read to us out of the revised code of ethics for Realtors. She said that it was a violation to malign a fellow Realtors business practices. I agree with that, that behavior should be a violation of the code of ethics. But then...she said, with respect to writing and publishing, that as Realtors we are prohibited from saying "mean" things about other Realtors.

Ok,...so in writing I say, Jenny gave out my lock box code to her buyer and let them go into a listed property without my permission or my sellers permission.

Well, if this is true and quantifiable, then yes it might be mean, but it also might be true and therefore doesn't malign.

On the other hand, to say, XYZ Realty over chargers for their services. Well that could be construed as mean and unquantifiable and therefore an ethics violation.

So, I guess my point is that mean, untruthful and unethical are really not mutually exclusive. Interesting how it can all be spun. Still I think, the best way to act is to do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

No comments: