Pages

Saturday, March 29, 2014

Fred Phelps



Fred Phelps the infamous founder of the Westboro Church has died.  I've left Baptist off the name intentionally as there is really nothing Baptist about that church. Phelps and his church are known for their campaign of hate and picketing that God hates fags, God hates America and for picketing the funerals of fallen American soldiers.

I met Fred Phelps once, in 1993 at the March on Washington. Fred Phelps was one of the few people that upon initial meeting scared me beyond belief.  He had a way of staring that made me feel as he spoke to me as if he were staring into my soul.  The stare wasn't kind, it was creepy.  Prior to our brief meeting in 1993 I'd never heard of Fred Phelps.

In spite of how truly scary Fred Phelps was, I can't help feeling sorry for him.  I feel sorry for the tortured soul who felt inclined to live a huge portion of his adult life fostering hate and discord. He is a man who spent a large portion of his life bullying gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender folks. What must have happen in Phelps life to make him so jaded and so hateful to the least of these.  I would ask the same question of Franklin Graham, Pat Robertson, Jerry Falwell and any number of other fundamental Bible beating Christians who spew hate and intolerance.

I wonder what happened to the poor souls to make them so mean spirited and so far off Christ's path.  I used to get angry, now I pity them and pray for them.  I think that their souls are tortured.

No comments: