Pages

Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Oh but it is personal

I haven't had the courage to talk to my friends, family and loved ones about how they vote but...it is personal to me.

On one side, the Republican side we have a party that would deny me equal rights, equal protection under the law and would keep me relegated to second class citizenship.  Yet in spite of this, people who "love me" and "care for me" and spend time with me would vote for members of this party.  Members who publicly profess that I am second class.  Of course their decision to vote a particular way might be disguised in the belief that the GOP is in favor of smaller government, even though their behavior of the last forty years proves otherwise. Anyhow I digress.

I cannot help but feel very hurt, especially by family that posts pro-Republican points of view on their Facebook pages.  Additionally I'll see pro Chik fil A posts and all sorts of clap trap claiming that the majorities rights are being abridged and taken away.  Yet when I ask:
  • What rights did you have four years ago that you don't have today?
The answer I get is typically silence or a blank stare.

I cannot help but feeling very sad, disappointed and disrespected when family members, MY FAMILY members post pro family values and marriage placards in their front yards and on the bumpers of their motor vehicles.  I mean, these people know me, they're related to me, we share blood but yet...
  • When I say that I'd NEVER, EVER vote for someone who'd push to take away their rights I get
Silence or a blank stare.

Perhaps it's just a lack of respect for me and people like me and different people.
I sometimes get the argument that the Republicans running for office don't really believe in their conservative social stances.  They just have to say those things to get elected. This kills me on a variety of levels...
  •  They're saying something they don't believe in to get elected and you'd STILL vote for them?
  • They DID say it and those words and beliefs really and genuinely hurt me and STILL you'd vote for them?
So my dears, my loved ones, my friends and my... FAMILY....hear me well, I WOULD...NEVER...DO...THAT...TO...YOU!

No comments: