Pages

Thursday, December 31, 2009

A stop in Kinston



I enjoy my drive up from Otway especially in the colder months. There is little traffic and the ride gives me time to think and ponder. Truthfully, Otway all in all gives me time to ponder. There is no phone in the house, no television; just me, my books, my journal and my cat. The Chairman on this last visit was missing in action most of the time, he found a comfortable shelf in the linen closet to sleep on.

I typically stop in Kinston on my way up to Durham. It is about half way, I'm usually hungry, the car yesterday needed gas and I needed a restroom. On highway 70 at its junction with highway 58 there is a Dixon Foods McDonald's. I stop there because it's on the right; I don't like crossing five lanes of traffic; and I used to work for them and have many happy memories of the experience. I still dream about managing a McDonald's.

I gassed the car next door, visited the restroom and then moved to order a snack and coffee.

"Whatever you neglected to do unto one of these least of these, you neglected to do unto Me!" Matthew 25

The lady working the register was sweet and shy. She didn't make eye contact immediately, so I peppered her with some pleases and thank yous. This caused her to look up and I met her gaze with a smile.

She said, "You are so nice."

This comment came with complete shock and surprise in her voice. Since it was just after ten in the morning and I'm pretty sure the shifts haven't changed in the restaurant too much, this worker most likely started working yesterday at either six or seven am. My point here is for either three or four hours perhaps no one of noticeable nice had presented at this lady's cash register. Of course I'm assuming but maybe not.

What does it cost us to be nice? Where is the expense in it? Truly there is none. We simply step a little aside and let a little of Christ's light shine trough us. It costs us nothing because Jesus already paid the price.

1 comment:

DonnaInDurham said...

So true! This is my favorite blog so far (but, of course, I just started reading you). How easy is it to make someone's day by extending the smallest and most common courtesy!?!?! Everyone has a "story", and we may never know wht it is, but your simple courtesy may have changed her world. Kudos to you, Mr. Sullivn, for being (almost) as nice a person as I am. (Wink, wink!!)

Donna