Pages

Thursday, February 12, 2015

Parenthood

At fifty I find myself as a quasi parent. This is something that I really never considered or saw coming.  My nephew, who is twenty four has moved in. Three days in and we're trying to figure things out and adjust. I know it will be an adjustment for both of us.  In my opinion my nephew isn't well equipped to deal with adulthood just yet.  I don't think he's been well taught.

He arrived with the intention of becoming a truck drive and of going to driving school.  I thought that was an admirable plan. Today we learned that this wasn't going to work out.  My nephews driving record has some problems, some dinks, some points. The trucking companies won't hire him without a clean license; that makes sense.  So, we're now in the process of finding gainful employment.  Time is of the essence, he starts paying me rent on April 1.

My brother and his wife didn't do my nephew any favors. They brought him here from Africa and then placed him under home school house arrest treating him like a little kid and when the going got tough, kicked him out. I have to give my nephew credit, for the last six years he's survived. He has been richly blessed by a very generous woman who selflessly supported and helped my nephew. However, I think young men need strong male role models; something that has been lacking in this young man's life.  

No comments: