Pages

Friday, August 10, 2012

A meditation on Chick-fil-A and friendship


So in the last couple of weeks since the brouhaha at Chick-fil-A has blown up I have un-friended several people on FaceBook.  On the list are family members and people who I once considered to be friends.  My actions are based on the fact that I disagree with these folks.  They are entitled to have their opinions and I respect that fact.  What I don’t accept, and what I won’t tolerate is public disrespect of me.

Additionally, I don’t buy into the notion that this is a first amendment argument.  This is an argument about a corporation and its financial support of organizations that harm people.  I don’t buy the argument that the “buycott” generated by some on the right was done to protect first amendment rights and family values.  The last time I looked gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender folks were all members of someone’s family.  So I’m left wondering, what are family values?  What does that mean?

Interestingly, I’ve noticed that many of Chick-fil-A supporters have referred to boycotters as fascists.  The logic here escapes me.  By its definition fascism is conservative.  Fascism is xenophobic, nationalistic, authoritarian, autocratic and rigid.  Inclusive, enlightened liberalism is none of those things.  Liberalism endeavors to make a place the table for anyone so long as they don’t hurt others.  Whether that hurt is by word, action or deed.
I recognize that a boycott by its nature is designed to inflict some degree of pain.  Typically the pain is economic.  The boycott of South Africa in the 1980s is an excellent example of economic activism.  Those of us on the left who are offended by Chick-fil-A actions are simply trying to affect change through that sort of nonviolent action.  So, to my friends who aren’t anymore, think about that.  Your public professions like that of Chick-fil-A ‘s president hurt those around you.

No comments: