Pages

Sunday, July 26, 2009

My family, trouble and torment


I wrote my brother Dan an email last week in an attempt to get my nephew Julian’s documentation from my brother and his wife to my nephew. My brother and his wife have disowned my nephew. This is a sad, sordid situation to be sure but not an unusual one, it seems my brother and his wife disowned me a long time ago and now that truth has been confirmed.

My brother’s response was quick, angry and hostile. I was told to keep out of the situation between him and his son. Furthermore my brother wouldn’t discuss the situation with me stating that Julian knew what he had to do to make things right. In one sentence my brother even stated that Julian must turn from his life of degradation in order to return to the fold. My brother’s contention with me; that I’d stepped over boundaries between him and his son.

Here is where I have trouble. My brother and his wife brought this kid to America when he was nearly 15 years old. Julian was all but grown. A Rwandan orphan, grown up in an orphanage and then plucked out of Africa with his twin sister when he was a mid-teen and by my brother’s own words, given a fifty, fifty chance of coming through unscathed here in America. So, realistically evaluating this situation where my brother and his wife are demanding submission and in my brother’s wife’s situation, sometimes with force and violence, this young man isn’t really their son. He may be son in name but they certainly can’t claim the responsibility for raising him. After all he arrived nearly grown.

In relating some of his near past experiences to me; Julian related tales of control, stubbornness, a feeling of being trapped and in some instances physical torment. I do realize that Julian exacerbated his situation by not submitting to the will of his “parents.” My brother feels angry that Julian won’t submit; my brother mentioned that ultimately as a teen he submitted to our parents and accepted their help because he loved and respected them. That was true then for him, but Dan, my brother had the benefit of being raised by our parents for 15, 16 or even 17 years when he was very troubled and in a good bit of trouble. Julian didn’t have that benefit given that he is just 18 now. No one raised this boy, he raised himself.

So in attempting to get Julian’s documents to him I failed. My brother refused and he refused to discuss what Julian needs to actually do to get what is legally his. In our conversation Dan did eventually calm down and we were able to turn to matters that involved just the two of us. Interestingly my brother doesn’t have clear recollections of many events involving us over the past twenty years. He also did a great deal of projecting in that I am less than truthful, which I don’t think is true, but in terms of his wife is very true. I will admit that I am stubborn, that I will not submit to my brother’s wife’s manipulations and half truths and in terms of our relationship I have given her a very, very, very wide berth over the last twenty years or so. To get tangled in her tales is a less than pleasant experience. I have been polite and cordial but she is not someone that I trust.

Interestingly enough my brother painted me with her brush. He said that I’d closed them out of my life. Well, partly true, I did give her a wide berth, I did not share intimacies with her, I did go out of my way to visit, something that they never did. I did go out of my way to remember birthdays, something they never did, I did go out of my way to invite them here, something they never took up and all of that is ok. I really don’t see a reason for adult siblings to live in one another’s pockets.

I do however expect adult siblings to have a degree of awareness and understanding. So when my brother and his wife didn’t inquire as to what my holiday plans were or my parent’s plans were for over ten years, I brought it up to explosive anger, a rather interesting response I thought. When my brother informed me that Julian was moving out and that he and his wife would not support or help this young man in any way because he’d hurt them; I pointed out that this really wasn’t about them but about Julian and again an explosion.

I did point out too that ten days of holiday at my parents house where mom cooks and cleans up after nine guests is not spending a holiday with my parents, it is a free vacation and I did say that adults pay for their own vacations or buy a second home or a camper. My brother’s response, no July visit at my parents this year and as our conversation wound down on Friday I asked Dan, “Where do we go from here?”

I was told that there was no time right now for a relationship or reconciliation with me. That he didn’t have the time or energy right now to deal with me. So, my brother finally said out loud what I’ve known for many years. It stung and hurt and I had nowhere to go with it and so Dan just said “Good bye.” He then hung up.

Although the words stung, I think my brother did feel a sense of satisfaction at saying them. He knew exactly where to place the keenest sense of hurt. I do think that the mark was missed though; you see, he wasn’t telling me anything that I didn’t already know. He and his wife had come to this place a long time ago and it is ok with me. I truly think that they have not completely or judiciously evaluated the ramifications of their treatment of me or even my parents. My brother is deluded in his thinking that he and my folks are on a path to reconciliation and peace; his wife did say to them that she didn’t care if she ever saw them again. Dan was sitting right there, obviously not paying attention.

At least now I know that my mission is clear. I must at all costs make sure that Julian is cared for. That I keep this young man out of the criminal justice system, that I help his current care takers get him a decent education and hopefully get him into college. As for my brother, I love him but I have to wait for him to have a catharsis and break from this altered reality that he lives in. My promise to myself, I will not offer my brother any more advice and if the authorities have to intervene in order for Julian to get his social security card, passport, green card and visa, well then so be it. I can with clear conscience say that I tried to offer a simple solution and was summarily dismissed.

No comments: